The following was an assignment written by one of the students we tutor in English. Andy has been studying with our tutors for just over 6 months and was asked to write and assignment on Tourism in Hong Kong to showcase his abilities and knowledge of English. We were so happy with Andy’s work that we’ve decided to put his essay up for others to see, so that too can see what is possible with dedication to learning and the help and support of a Celebrity English Tutor.
Andy has only recently finished primary school, and has been achieving much better results not just with English but also in other subjects since he started tutoring with us. We’ve seen his English skills, both written and oral improve dramatically over the last few months and we are so happy to have been able to have such an important impact on his English skills and future career prospects. Following is Andy’s assignment on Hong Kong and what is important for visitors to see and do in this great city:
Tourism in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, or officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, is a territory in East Asia. The tourism industry is one of the most important parts of the Hong Kong’s economy. Since HK shifted to a service sector model, there has been an increase in the number of tourists to the place.
Hong Kong is best known as a shopper’s paradise. Apart from shopping there are so many their things that encourage tourists to visit this place. These include; cultural kaleidoscope, international cuisine, colorful nightlife, numerous festival and fairs, convenient transportation and a convenient base to explore Asia. Following are just a few reason why you should visit Hong Kong.
- Its authentic Chinese food is not the same as the one you find in the United Kingdom, USA or other countries. The taste of the food is something that no tourist will forget. Dim sum can be found in each and every corner of Hong Kong, in different flavors, steamed or fried and can be enjoyed form a very fine restaurant among the many found in Hong Kong.
- It is one of the most modern cities in the world even with its rich history. It’s the way Hong Kong is in touch with the history that make this city stimulating and fascinating. You can still find the Chinese festivals taking place many times each year. The Autumn Festival known as the Moon Festival celebrates the Moon Goddess of immortality.
- Hong Kong is a city of past and present. Its rich with traditions and history but also have a thriving modern cosmopolitan that really makes this place an exciting place for people to visit. One of the top reasons why one would visit Hong Kong is to simply get the view of the city’s skyline. This is an image that travelers and tourists will never forget.
- Mong Kok is the neighborhood that resides within Hong Kong. It is a very densely populated area with about 300,000 people per square mile. The city has bustling foot traffic,entertainment and sumptuous food. It would be a very big mistake to pass Mong Kok on your visit Hong Kong. There are also famous street markets around the city. There are ladies markets in specific where ladies go too shop for stuff like handbags and trinkets.
- Hong Kong, is an island itself. HK is also surrounded by 200 other small islands that contribute to the experience and the culture of the main island. It is here that you find rural Hong Kong.
- Tai Long Wai Bay is a very spectacular and natural destination in Hong Kong. The mountain trails, the rolling vistas, and crystal blue waters make this place irresistible to the tourists. In this area, you will also come across the old villages, sandy beaches and beautiful and romantic waterfalls.
- There is street food like no other in Hong Kong. The city’s food scene is really exciting. Hong Kong’s vibrant food has something to suit every taste.
- Hong Kong is a unique in that there is a way to escape the concrete jungle. This is by visiting the beautiful places outdoors. The north part of Hong Kong can be compared to Tokyo. This is because of the restaurants, huge explosion of people, shops, entertainment and buildings. Southern part of Hong Kong is different. One enjoys the freedom from crowd and the peaceful and open scenery. You can also explore small towns, hiking trails and enjoy local dining in the restaurants.
Where to stay in Hong Kong
- Tsim Sha Tsui – The southern tip of Kowloon is where most tourists seem to prefer when they visit Hong Kong. Tsim Sha Tsui is dense urban on the tip of the Kowloon peninsula. It is a major tourist hub in HK. It has many restaurants and high end shops to cater for the tourists. Many of the Hong Kong’s museums are located in TST. It is a place where that every tourist who visits Hong Kong should definitely go to and enjoy the beautiful scenes that the place has.There are lots of short term accommodation options and hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui. Some hotels offer short term accommodation at better rates, not just for a few days or a week, because many people visit HK for a long time. Slightly north of TST is Jordan which is also a good option for slightly cheaper hotels and accommodation. There is a lot of short-term accommodation in Jordan near to the MTR. This is only a few minutes walk north of TST.
- Mong Kok This is located in the central part of Kowloon. It is an area rich in culture and history and has lots of shopping, restaurants and street food.
- Causeway Bay and Wan Chai It is a built up area on Hong Kong which cover the parts of Hong Kong Island. It has a more traditional feel compared to some other places in Hong Kong. It is one of the major shopping districts and is covered by many local boutiques and stores known form all over the world. If you stay here, it is easy to get around, there are plenty places to eat and shop. It’s a interesting place for tourist who visit Hong Kong.
- Central Hong Kong This is the commercial hub of Hong Kong where many of the offices and the famous party area Lan Kwai Fong is located.
- Sai Yung Pin You will find yourself a more luxurious and affordable hotel here. Sai Yung Pin is located in the western district, in the northwestern area of Hong Kong Island. It has a large number of restaurants and shops and cafes.
Things to see and do in Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui is one of the most bustling and important areas in Hong Kong. It is an area where you find very large numbers of shopping malls, a variety of restaurants, galleries, vibrant and lively streets, and a ferry pier. Tourists can spend busy days enjoying the beautiful and scenic spots that this city has to offer.
TST is a shopping paradise where tourists can shop in the very many shopping malls that are found in this area. TST being the center of Hong Kong and the area where most tourists prefer to stay when the visit Hong Kong, there are so many great things a tourist can see in TST. Here are some of them;
- Kowloon Park – Originally the Whitfield Barracks, the park was a military area for the British army. It’s a place where you can surround yourself with greenery and in a relaxed environment. You can also take part in activities such as football, swimming and bird watching. If you also want to relax and take a walk, Kowloon Park will be the best place for you.
- Star Ferry Pier – The TST Star Ferry Pier is a famous landmark and major draw for tourists to the area. Since 1880s the Ferry pier has been carrying passengers from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island. Although road and rail systems have been established, people still enjoy the ferries as they are able to have a look at the stunning harbor by boat.
- The Avenue of Stars – The Avenue of Stars is located next to Victoria Harbor. It is perfect for scenic walk. Around the avenue, there are many celebrity hand-prints, movie memorabilia and insiders of film industry. This helps the tourists to learn more about the Hong Kong’s movie industry. There are two popular statues; statue of Bruce Lee and the bronze rendering of cartoon, MuDull.
- Hong Kong Cultural Centre – The Hong Kong Cultural Centre is where drama shows, concerts, dance, music performances and operas are held. It was established in 1989. The Centre also holds free foyer programs and art exhibitions. If you want to enjoy your night with great shows, the Centre will be a perfect place for you to visit.
- K11 In K11, there are a wide variety of shopping shops selling beauty and lifestyle products and fashion. There are also events and art exhibitions all year round.
- Kimberly Road Kimberly road is a very popular street in TST which has many unique restaurants. The street is famous for grocery stores which provides Hong Kong with authentic Korean ingredients. It is also known for the saturation of Korean restaurants. You can have Korean different food in these restaurants which include Korean BBQ and orthodox Korean set meals.
- Harbor City There are a lots of shopping malls in TST but Harbor City is one of the most diverse and largest in Hong Kong. It is saturated with 450 shops, 3 hotels, 2 cinemas and 50 restaurants. It also has a luxurious private club. It is a place where you can find a wide variety of luxury brands.
- Dining at Shang Palace Shang Palace is a luxurious restaurant in Hong Kong that specializes in Cantonese cuisine. Their dishes are not as traditional as other restaurants, they always try to be new and innovative. Their dishes are well decorated. For seven consecutive years, the Shang Palace has been regarded as Michelin two star.
- Drink at Aqua Spirit The atmosphere here is lively and inviting. They have fantastic drinks with delectable cocktails. The venue is styled with sophisticated and modern décor and seating.
- Knutsford Terrace If you suddenly feel hungry at night, the Knutsford Terrace Street is the place to go to. The street is filled with pubs, bars and clubs and a wide variety of restaurants that you can choose from. You can expect to be served with different cuisine and also fantastic drinks. Some bars open up the whole night so the entertainment is such bars doesn’t have to end so soon. Tourists therefore immerse themselves in Hong Kog’s late night drinking and dining culture in this street.
TST is served by three MTR lines. The MTR serves the need of transportation of an average 3.7 million people a day. MTR is a public mans of transport that is fast, safe, reliable and efficient. You do not wait for more than 5 minutes before the next train arrives. In peak hour the frequency of trains is within two minute or even less.
The train’s and the stations are very clean and well maintained. All stations are well lit and has staff members that you can easily approach in case you need any assistance or if you get lost. The passengers also enjoy free WIFI.
The MTR system makes it convenient for people to get around Hong Kong. TST Station is quite large, however for those staying or visiting the northern part of TST, Jordan MTR Station might be more convenient to use.
Population density of Hong Kong
Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas in the world. This may be one of the reasons fertility levels in Hong Kong have remained low. Hong Kong has also attained a very low mortality level by international standards. At the middle of 2014 the population of Hong Kong was 7024 million including the 7.03 usual residents and the 0.22 million mobile residents. It is ranked as the fourth most densely populated sovereign state in the world.
Accommodation in Hong Kong
Hong Kong accommodation range from budget to grand. Most offer 3 star ratings or more and all the conveniences that come along with it. There are 5-star hotels which are for more personalized service, spacious suites and upgraded amenities. There are fully serviced apartments that has key benefits such as; 24 hour security and reception, monthly and weekly contracts, fully equipped and furnished, daily or weekly cleaning, utilities and facilities are all inclusive. Some hotels offer 2 bedroom apartments. There is also many short term apartment rental in TST and other areas of Hong Kong. 2 bedrooms or more can be hard to find at traditional hotel, so sometimes entire apartments can be rented instead. The kind of the apartment you choose depends with your budget and also the size of your group in case you are visiting with your family.
Tourist on a Budget
For the tourists on a budget visiting Hong Kong, there is accommodation further out in places like Jordan or even Mong Kok. These are a bit cheaper but still convenient. There is also a Mass Transit Railway in Jordan and further north which enables the tourist to get around Hong Kong conveniently. There are some hotels which are near the MTR in Jordan where one can look for accommodation. These hotels include; Shinny Inn, Orchid Inn, Shamrock Inn and many others. These hotels are affordable and so for tourists on budget, you don’t have to struggle looking for hotels in other places where there are expensive. Therefore, as a tourist looking to explore the Hong Kong area the above is a complete guide that will ensure you have some of the best accommodation in Hong Kong during your visit to the Far East.